If We Pass It,
We Protect It
Home About Us Guarantees 500-Point Inspections Buying A New Home Support Our Troops

 

Need more information?

 

 

RADON

 

 

MOLD

 

 

MOLD

 

 

MOLD

 

 

MOLD

 

 

 

 

MOLD

 

Most people think mold is not a problem in Utah because we live in a predominately dry climate. Unfortunately, that is not true. Every home or building has the potential for growing mold at an alarming rate and many people have allergies to mold and don’t even know it.

Today's extremely "tight" energy efficient homes hold moisture inside more so than older homes and when walls and carpeted floors get wet, they dry out very slowly—allowing mold contamination to get a firm grip and spread. Today's homes do not "breathe"—to the contrary they hold contaminants and moisture inside.

So, new building materials and tight buildings have given rise to a new group of molds growing indoors and staying trapped indoors at much higher concentrations than in years past.

Most Utah homes have basements and every basement either has or will flood at one time or another and roofs have or will leak. If the home doesn’t have a basement, it has a crawl space and the same principle applies. This will happen as a result of leaking pipes, overflowing toilets, leaking water heaters, water seepage through foundation walls, flooding window wells, etc.

Many people shy away from a home with a mildewy or musty smell due to the unpleasant odor and real estate agents typically install air fresheners in vacant homes or have sellers do the same to hide the smell. However, that only masks the odors and doesn’t do anything to remediate the mold causing the smell. Eventually the odors will come back and you will end up dealing with an unhappy home buyer. This doesn’t have to happen when it can, most likely, be easily fixed.

In fact, when I inspect a home that has an obvious air freshener smell, I immediately begin looking for the reason why—is it pets, smoke or mold!

Basements, crawl spaces and even attics have the greatest potential for mold production due to their cool, damp and dark environment. Additionally, most basements, crawl spaces and some attics have poor ventilation which contributes to mold growth.

Okay, so how do you know if a home has a mold problem? Well, other than visual signs, there is only one sure way, and that is a culture test. A-Pro always does a visual check during each home inspection. And, if we see or suspect mold, we look for the source and cause. However, keep in mind that a visual check and the lack of visual mold are not conclusive. Therefore, the best and most irrefutable check is a culture test, especially for airborne mold spores.

If mold is found, what should be done next? First you have to find the primary source of the mold and what is causing it. Mold may be in one area of the home, yet disperse airborne spores to other areas. Once the source and cause are found, you need to remove the cause and then treat the source. Even if mold is dry, it has the potential to become active again.

Bottom line—be mindful of the needs and health of your clients. Don’t avoid the mold issue when listing or selling a home. Older homes, in particular, don’t smell musty just because they are old—it’s mold. Mold is a real threat to our health and can be dealt with in a precise and swift manner at a reasonable / affordable cost.

 

Give Me Fresh Air!

fresh air fashion

Common signs indicating potential mold problems:

  1. Water pipe or foundation leaks

  2. Flooding

  3. Mildewy / musty odors

  4. Damp basements and / or crawl spaces

  5. Leaky roofs

  6. Cracked or pealing paint

  7. Loosening drywall tape or wall paper

  8. Water stains

  9. Visible mold

 

LINKS to more MOLD INFORMATION

 

[logo] US EPA

"A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home"

from the EPA

 

CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Home Page

 

 

 

 

Current research is discovering strong associations connecting indoor mold (surface and / or airborne) and the following health symptoms:

  • Asthma
  • Allergies
  • Chronic Rhinitis
  • Chronic Sinusitis
  • Sick Building Syndrome
  • Neurological Impairment & Toxic Mold
  • Indoor Coughing, Sneezing, Indigestion, Nose Bleeds

 

 

Clean Up That 
Stuffy Moldy Air 

A-Pro of Utah has the capability to remediate small amounts of mold, including surface and airborne black mold. This is typically a one-time process over a 72-hour period using ozone and ultra violet light. This remediation may be completed while the house is occupied and is not harmful to humans or pets.

However, if the mold damage is extensive, a specialist should be consulted and you may need to replace the infected area.

Call TODAY for more information.

 

A PRO Inspection Services of Utah801-615-6479Professional Residential & Commercial InspectionsA-Pro Give You What Everyone Deserves - 
Professionalism, Reliability, Value and Protection.